Fortnite servers have gone down, as Epic Games prepares the server to dish out the new 5.10 update. The new update brings back the popular Playground mode, and new events to celebrate the first birthday of Fortnite. The update will be made live today for PS4, Xbox One, PC, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, and Mobile iOS.
The servers are expected to face a downtime of several hours, and the new update will be downloadable after they come back up. In the tweet declaring that the downtime has started, Epic Games also put out a link to the patch notes of the new 5.10 update.
Downtime for the v5.10 update has begun. Unwrap the Patch Notes to see all the tasty treats we have in store for you: https://t.co/3U8zSHzJZN
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) July 24, 2018
The rather long patch list states that the devs have fixed a number of bugs, and made a few gameplay changes as well. There is a new weapon in the game now, and some new rewards as well. Some of these rewards are connected to the birthday celebrations, and will be made available on both the Battle Royale and Save the World modes.
“Celebrate #Fortnite1st with friends. Find birthday cake throughout the world and earn special cosmetics by completing challenges and quests in-game,” reads the patch notes. “Playground is back and better than before. Challenge your friends to a duel and build incredible structures on your own private island. Wield the new Legendary weapon in Battle Royale, the Compact SMG.”
“The Save the World storyline continues in the Canny Valley campaign. Get in-game and complete the Fortnite Birthday questline to unlock a special birthday reward!”
And here are all the details in the new 5.10 patch notes released by Epic Games that includes the changes in the Playground mode and details on the new SMG weapon.
Update 5.10 Patch Notes
Playground LTM (Battle Royale)
– Playground mode is back on Wednesday, July 25! New team select options let you and your squad set up team battles for practice and training.
– Race! Create, and share your screenshots and cinematics on social.
Compact SMG (Battle Royale)
– Unwrap the newest weapon in Battle Royale. Engage in close quarters combat with the high capacity, fast firing Compact SMG.
– New default keybindings for new players.
– All keyboard layouts will continue to default to the QWERTY bindings for new players or those who reset their back to default.
– Changed countdown timers to display more useful information
– Shows hours left instead of days when under 72 hours.
– Shows hours:minutes: seconds left when below 13 hours.
– Changed the background of the loading screen bullet points area to be partially translucent.
– Removed the “static noise” when switching tabs.
– The “Restore” button has been removed from the settings screen. Also, the “Reset Defaults” button has been renamed to “Reset”.
– Leaving the settings screen before applying changes will give the option to apply changes and exit or discard changes and exit.
– Double clicks now register as two clicks on a button, allowing for faster navigation through Next/Previous type buttons
– Items on the ground will properly have their stack counts updated if the stack size changes while the player is currently looking at them.
– Fixed a frame delay on some text layouts, which would cause large blocks of text to reflow their wrapping one frame after seeing them.
– Corrected text shadows that were appearing incorrectly in certain areas of the UI.