It was an interesting week for the tech industry where we saw some major announcements. It started with the Redmi Note 5A launch in China, followed by the official release of Android 8.0 Oreo for Google Pixel and Nexus smartphones. After the infamous Galaxy Note 7 battery fiasco, Samsung has launched its successor, the Galaxy Note 8 with dual camera setup. The ‘effectively free’ JioPhone also went on pre-orders and you can book it online or via offline channels. Here’s a closer look at the top stories of the week.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A launch
Xiaomi launched a new smartphone in its Redmi series called the Redmi Note 5A. The smartphone comes with decent specifications and starts at a budget price of CNY 699 (approximately Rs 6,800). The Redmi Note 5A comes with a 5.5-inch HD display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 425 SoC, 13-megapixel rear and 16-megapixel front camera with flash. It comes in three variants of 2GB/3GB/4GB of RAM with 16GB/32GB/64GB of internal storage. The smartphone runs on Android 7.0 Nougat based on the latest MIUI 9.
Android Oreo announced
The week then followed with Google’s sweet treat for Android users, as it officially announced Android 8.0 Oreo. Google made the announcement right at the time when the Great American Eclipse was taking place in the US. Android Oreo comes with a host of features like Picture-in-Picture mode that allows people to perform two tasks simultaneously. Notification Dots appear on top of an app and show a preview of unread alerts without having to open the app. Google also promises longer battery life with Android Oreo.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 launch
The highlight product launch for this week was the Samsung Galaxy Note 8. The Galaxy Note 8 boasts some impressive features like the dual-camera setup at the back which is a pair of 12-megapixel wide-angle lens and 12-megapixel telephoto lens and dual-OIS on both the sensors. The phablet is the biggest in the Note series so far with a 6.3-inch Super AMOLED curved edge display, OHD+ resolution, and aspect ratio of 18:5:9. The S Pen is back with the Galaxy Note 8 but it comes with an interesting feature this time, Live Messages.
JioPhone pre-booking starts
In India, pre-booking for Reliance Jio’s ‘smart’ feature phone, the JioPhone went live on August 24 at 5:30PM. Existing Jio users can visit any authorized retailer, Reliance Digital stores, or Jio’s website and app to pre-book the device by submitting their Aadhaar details. A total of Rs 1,500 needs to be paid for the JioPhone which will be refunded after three years on returning the used device. The JioPhone comes with features like 4G VoLTE, Jio Assistant, NFC connectivity, and special tariff packs.
Right to Privacy questioned
The Supreme Court yesterday announced that privacy is a fundamental right. This historical verdict received mixed reactions from the citizens of India. The question of Aadhaar not falling under the right to privacy came up quite extensively continuing the long debate. Aadhaar is mandatory for all important services like banking, IT returns, mobile number among others. Citizens argue that Aadhaar breaches one’s privacy because it contains all their intricate details, but the government argues that Aadhaar is safe and important for digitizing the country.
For a more detailed look at the top stories of the week, you can check out the links below.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 5A with 16-megapixel front camera launched in China: Price, specifications and feature
Android 8.0 Oreo
- Android 8.0 Oreo launched; Google says it is ‘sweeter than ever’
- Android Oreo: Here’s a look at some of its sweetest features
- Android Oreo: List of devices supported and OS rollout plan
- Android 8.0 Oreo: How to download and install on your Pixel and Nexus devices right now
- Android Oreo: Google has addressed consumer and developer concerns
- Android Oreo: Poll reveals the best feature on the latest Android OS
- Android Oreo: Google’s latest treat receives not so sweet reactions on social media
- Oreo to launch limited edition Android-themed cookies: Report
- Android Oreo users will soon be able to apply system-wide themes without rooting: Report
- Android Oreo users reportedly facing Bluetooth issues
- HTC 10, U11, U Ultra confirmed to receive Android 8.0 Oreo update
- BlackBerry KEYone to receive Android 8.0 Oreo update: Report
Samsung Galaxy Note 8 launch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with dual cameras, Infinity Display launched: Specifications, features
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 launched: Top 5 features
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 vs Galaxy Note 7: Here’s what’s different
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with dual-camera, Android Nougat 7.1 launched: Here are the device photos
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 hands-on roundup: What previews say of the device
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Twitter is not so sure if the Galaxy Note 7 fire is doused yet
- Is Samsung too late to the dual-camera game with the Galaxy Note 8?
- As a Galaxy S8 user, here’s what I feel about the new Samsung Galaxy Note 8
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 battery put through rigorous tests to avoid Galaxy Note 7-like debacle
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 likely to launch in India in second week of September
- Reliance JioPhone pre-bookings start today: Price, specifications, tariffs and more
- Reliance JioPhone full specifications revealed; to feature 2-megapixel camera, NFC, and more
- Reliance Jio may offer JioPhone refunds before completion of 3-year period: Report
- Reliance JioPhone to hit telecom sector, erode revenues: Vodafone to DoT
- Reliance JioPhone sale: How individuals and businesses can register
Right to privacy
- Privacy is a fundamental right under the Constitution: Supreme Court
- Right to Privacy is a fundamental right, and the social media is cheering
- Right to Privacy will ensure subscribers’ information is protected, guarded: Rajan S Mathews
- Right to privacy: Linking mobile numbers to Aadhaar will continue, says COAI