And as we sign off another week in the tech world, we go back and take a look at the most significant happenings this week. The week saw a lot of new launches in the tech world, especially in India with new smartphones and gadgets making their way to the country. Notable ones have been HTC’s flagship smartphone HTC U11 and much awaited HMD Global’s Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6. Additionally, there was also quite a buzz with Twitter getting a new design and Instagram finally rolling out the archives feature.
However, not all in the week was good as Uber continued to be chased by controversies. The company has been facing multiple issues since the beginning of the year with multiple executives leaving the firm and accusations of sexual harassment levelled against the executives. While Uber was trying hard to recover from the PR nightmare and also stabilize after the #DeleteUber trend in the beginning of the year, CEO Travis Kalanick finally stepped away and took an indeterminate leave of absence from the organization.
Indians, in the meantime, had something else to rejoice over as HMD Global finally launched the three much awaited Nokia phones: Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 in the country. The brand will take on Chinese brands like Xiaomi. The phones have met with mostly positive response though the devices do seem overpriced for the specifications they come with.
Also, HTC U11, the HTC flagship phone also debuted in India this week. The device, which lets users take a selfie by squeezing the sides, is priced at Rs 51,990. The phone competes with some of the top flagship devices like Samsung Galaxy S8, LG G6, Sony Xperia XZ Premium, and more. In terms of specifications, the device matches the flagships with a Snapdragon 835 chipset and a 5.5-inch QHD display, 16-megapixel selfie camera, and more.
The week also saw a whole lot of excitement around the OnePlus 5 with many leaks, rumors and teasers from OnePlus social media accounts. The phone has been generating a lot of buzz and the phone, scheduled to launch on June 20 is already selling invites to fans, asking them to be a part of the launch. And while OnePlus is still a few days off, Google‘s Daydream View VR headset debuts in the country and is priced at Rs 6,499.
Here’s everything that happened this week in detail:
Uber CEO Travis Kalanick
- Uber Mishaps: From data breach to CEO Travis Kalanick’s leave of absence, here’s everything that went wrong
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick steps away for an indefinite leave of absence
- Uber board weighs CEO Travis Kalanick’s leave of absence, mulls change in policy
Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Nokia 6
- Nokia 6, an Amazon India exclusive, gets listed on eBay India, but here’s why you shouldn’t buy it
- Nokia 6 to be Amazon India exclusive, Nokia 3 and Nokia 5 to be available offline
- Nokia’s return cannot be just about nostalgia; it needs to be more aggressive
- Nokia 6 vs Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 vs Moto G5 Plus vs Lenovo Z2 Plus: Price, specifications and features compared
- Nokia 3, Nokia 5 and Nokia 6 first impressions: Banking on Android to ride the journey
- Nokia 6 accidentally listed on Amazon India ahead of official launch, priced at Rs 14,999: Specifications, features
- Nokia 6, Nokia 5, Nokia 3 India launch today; price, specifications and everything else you need to know
- HTC U11 to launch in India on June 16; here’s everything you need to know
- HTC U11 ‘squeezable smartphone’ with Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC to launch in India today
- HTC U11 with Snapdragon 835 SoC, Edge Sense technology launched in India, priced at Rs 51,990: Specifications and features
- HTC U11 vs Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium vs LG G6 vs Google Pixel: Price, specification, features compared
- OnePlus 5 to be available for purchase without invites, clarifies company
- OnePlus product manager strongly defends design criticism of the OnePlus 5
- OnePlus CEO Pete Lau teases new camera sample of OnePlus 5, and we really like what we see
- OnePlus 5, Google Pixel 2 to Apple iPhone 8: Top 7 smartphones expected to launch in second half of 2017
- OnePlus will hold pop-up events for OnePlus 5 in Delhi, Hyderabad, Bengaluru and Chennai starting June 23
- OnePlus 5 image, price, specifications leaked ahead of launch
- OnePlus releases ‘Promise of 5′ customer service video ahead of OnePlus 5 launch
- OnePlus 5 registrations open in China ahead of the official launch
- OnePlus 5: New leaked render teases antenna band, alert slider ahead of June 20 launch; resembles the iPhone 7 Plus
- OnePlus 5 camera sample detailing Bokeh effect teased again
- OnePlus 5 protective case leak reveals similar design to Oppo R11 again
- OnePlus 5 along with protective cases leaked; but could be fake
- OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei shuts down OnePlus 5 comparisons with Apple iPhone 7, OPPO R11
- OnePlus shares three new teasers, hints at new OnePlus 5 UI themes, color filter and fluid performance