Foxconn hiring record 100,000 workers in China ahead of Apple iPhone 6 launch: Reuters


With the first of the iPhone 6 smartphones set to be launched in September, Apple’s manufacturing partners Foxconn/Hon Hai Precision Industry and Pegatron are on a hiring spree in China, Reuters reports. The former is looking at hiring around 100,000 workers, while the latter will boost its workforce by around 30 percent.

The publication cites a report on Taiwan’s Economic Daily News, which claims that Foxconn’s hiring spree will be the biggest ever in the company’s history. It will be responsible for manufacturing 70 percent of iPhones. Pegatron, on the other hand, will manufacture the remaining 30 percent of the iPhones and is looking at increasing its workforce at a factory in Mainland China by around 30 percent.

The latter had a similar surge in hiring when manufacturing the iPhone 5C last year. One of the reasons for the hiring surge could be to avoid a repeat of last year’s shortages. Apple found it difficult to keep up with the massive demand for its iPhone 5S, which was sold out almost immediately in most countries. Apple lost potential sales during the Holiday quarter due to limited stocks.

The factories are believed to be first focusing on the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which is expected to launch in September. The bigger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is expected to be launched a few months later. The new iPhones will feature some design changes like a more rounded form factor, a power button on the side rather on the right top-corner and elongated volume rocker instead of the circular volume buttons.

For the latest technology news, gadgets and reviews download the BGR India Android app. Also follow BGR India on Facebook and Twitter to stay tuned with the latest technology news.

    Gadgets API returns Empty Value