comscore
News

HMD Global records 782% year-on-year growth: Counterpoint

This development is significant because it means that HMD is making the right moves to come back in the market.

  • Published: August 1, 2018 1:06 PM IST
HMD Global stock photo feat

Counterpoint has just released its latest release for the global smartphone shipments. According to the report, smartphone shipments continued to decline across the globe with a two percent decline this year as compared to a three percent decline in the last quarter. The reason for this slowdown is because of the increasing replacement cycles when it comes to a new smartphone along with “a slow-down” in the developed markets. The report also pointed out that the top 10 smartphone makers in the list account for about 79 percent of the total market while the rest 21 percent accounts for more than 600 smartphone makers.

Regardless of the decline, a number of things stood out in the report that show the overall decline is not indicative of the health of the smartphone market. One of the two things that stood out in this report was the fact that Huawei overtook Apple to become the second largest smartphone maker in terms of shipments and market share. It is likely that Huawei is going to be pushed back to the third spot as a number of iPhone users have been waiting for the new upcoming iPhone lineup to upgrade to the new devices to push the shipments after the launch.

Watch: Vivo NEX First Look

The second important thing to notice was the growth rally that HMD Global recorded as per the data in the report when compared to same time last year. According to the report, HMD Global observed a whopping 782 percent growth in one year.

The percentage may not mean much when it comes to the total market share of the company or the number of devices it shipped when compared to another smartphone maker. But this development is significant because it means that Finnish company is making the right moves to come back in the market. This is the first time that HMD Global has made to the top 10 smartphone makers list after the company decided to bring back the Nokia-branded smartphones in the market.

The company has launched a number of smartphones in the past few months to cover almost all the price segments from the entry-level to the mid-premium devices. The company still has not launched a proper flagship smartphone but it has its bases covered in other segments. In addition to the hardware, the company is also focusing on the software with a close collaboration with Google to bring Android One program to all its devices for quick updates.

The amalgamation of both, the impressive hardware as well as focus on faster updates with Android One program along with the Nokia legacy has helped the company showcase such impressive growth. While we have to see how far the company manages to go in the future, it is worth praising the company for its efforts.

Talking about the smartphone market, Tarun Pathak, Associated Director for Counterpoint Research added, “Huawei had a good second quarter in 2018 as it shipped more smartphones than Apple to capture the second spot in the global smartphone rankings, after 7 years of Apple-Samsung dominance.”

  • Published Date: August 1, 2018 1:06 PM IST