comscore
News

Malaysian Cradle Fund CEO dies after smartphone explodes while charging in his bedroom

Reports suggest that smoke from fire may have contributed to his death.

  • Published: June 21, 2018 8:38 PM IST
nazrin-hassan-facebook-smartphone-explosion

Image Source: Nazrin Hassan, Facebook


A tragic and unfortunate incident involving smartphone explosion cost a man his life. Nazrin Hassan, who was a start-up investor, an influencer and CEO of Cradle Fund in Malaysia, passed away after his smartphone exploded in the bedroom, and caught fire.

According to a report on The Malaysian Insight, “He had two phones, one Blackberry and a Huawei. We don’t know which one exploded. Who would have thought such an innocuous routine procedure is the reason three young kids will grow up without their father by their side,” Hassan’s brother-in-law said in a message on social media.

Smoke inhalation resulting from the fire after the smartphone exploded may have contributed to his death. The incident took place last week. A police report said that Nazrin was trapped in the bedroom, and he suffered several burns all over his body.

Cradle Fund is a Ministry of Finance company in Malaysia. It has helped several tech entrepreneurs and startups, with prominent ones being ride-hailing app Grab and fintech startup iMoney. To put in other words, Nazrin was a tech-savvy person.

Watch: Oppo Find X First Look

“Cradle has lost a visionary and creative genius, and the world has lost an amazing human being. Those of us who have been fortunate enough to know and work with Nazrin have lost a dear friend and an inspiring mentor,” Cradle chief operations officer Razif Aziz said.

Sure, explosions like these are rare, and it definitely haunts smartphone owners and the industry alike. In the past, there have been several instances with faulty handsets and smartphone batteries that overheated and exploded. It has resulted in serious burns and injuries among victims, with the Galaxy Note 7 being infamous for a series of such incidents.

At times, such incidents occur when users use local or third-party chargers to charge their smartphones. It is always recommended to use a genuine charger that smartphone manufacturers ship with devices. You should ensure that you don’t charge the smartphones overnight, and it will also be a good practice to not have one around when you are sleeping.

  • Published Date: June 21, 2018 8:38 PM IST