In a horrifying incident, a teenager in Odisha lost her life after a Nokia 5233 exploded in her face, while she was on call with a relative.
Uma Oram, who belonged to the Kheriakani district, was talking on the phone while it was still plugged in for charging. According to a report by Metro UK, Uma was knocked unconscious with the explosion and suffered injuries to her hand, leg and chest. She was immediately rushed to a local hospital, where she took the last breath.
“We are deeply saddened to hear of the unfortunate incident involving a 19-year-old girl that has been reported. The mobile phone in question was not manufactured or sold by HMD Global, the new home of Nokia phones, setup in December 2016 to create a new range of devices. As HMD Global, we are committed to producing high quality handsets which deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations.” HMD Global said in a statement to BGR India.
For about two years now, HMD Global has been managing production, sales and marketing for Nokia mobile phones. The devices sold today are an entirely new range, of which the Nokia 5233 is not a part.
Nokia 5233 is a Symbian-based smartphone launched by Nokia in 2010. And to a lot of people’s utter surprise, the smartphone is still being sold on Amazon India, priced at Rs 2,999. The device in question is likely to be an old unit, and it isn’t clear if it had all of its original components including the battery.
With HMD Global shrugging off the responsibility off the Nokia 5233, and rightly so, who can a customer hold responsible for an incident like this? Unfortunately, the Nokia that sold that device has long since transformed into a different organization. As such, we would always advise users to use original components in phones, as counterfeit batteries are often the cause of incidents such as this.