Epic Games has achieved quite a massive feat when it enabled true cross platform play among players from all the platforms that Fortnite is present in. That is arguably the feature that helped Fortnite reach the massive player base that is has managed to. And now it seem Epic Games is ready to make that cross-platform facility available for other devs out there.
Epic Games has laid out a roadmap on its blog for helping other devs by sharing its own cross platform facilities free of cost, in the form of an SDK. It is expected that this will be done by Epic Games by next year. According to the company its Online Services SDK is all set to offer “cross-platform login, friends, presence, profile, and entitlements” available across PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, and Switch which will allow access “to the full extent each platform allows per-title.”
This is apparently set to hit the PC in the second or the third quarter of 2019, as for the other platforms, those are planned “throughout 2019.” Here’s the timeline that has been prepared by Epic Games:
– Cross-Platform Login, Friends, Presence, Profile, and Entitlements (coming Q2-Q3 2019 to PC, other platforms throughout 2019): Provides the core functionality for persistently recognizing players across multiple sessions and devices; identifying friends; and managing free and paid item entitlements. This will support all 7 major platforms (PC, Mac, iOS, Android, PlayStation, Xbox, Switch) to the full extent each platform allows per-title.
– PC/Mac Overlay API (coming Q3 2019): Provides a user interface for login, friends, and other features in a game-agnostic, engine-agnostic way.
– Cross-Platform Voice Comms (coming Q3 2019 to all platforms): Epic is building a new in-game voice communications service supporting all platforms, all stores, and all engines, which will be available for free. (For developers needing an immediately-available voice solution, check out Discord, Vivox, TeamSpeak, Ventrilo, and Mumble.)
– Cross-Platform Parties and Matchmaking (coming Q3-4 2019 to all platforms)
– Cross-Platform Data Storage, Cloud-Saved Games (coming Q2 2019)
– Cross-Platform Achievements and Trophies (coming Q3 2019)