DrinkBox Studios, the independent studio from Toronto which saw a very successful run for its 2013 game Guacamélee, has announced a sequel. Guacamélee 2, which was announced at the Sony keynote event at Paris Games Week 2017, is actually the third installment to the series. Guacamélee!: Super Turbo Championship Edition was launched after the first edition and came out in 2014.
With the launch of the trailer of the game now, the developer has also announced that the game will be available on PlayStation 4 as well as on PC. The trailer shows some gameplay but there is still no specific launch date mentioned, and the only things developers are saying is “Coming Soon-ish”.
Guacamélee! is a metroidvania-styled adventure where the protagonist is a young luchador masked youth, who has to save a remote village from the grasp of evil. Though the first version was launched on PS3 and PS Vita and was later added to Nintendo and Xbox platforms, there is no certainty when the latest edition may hit PS4 and PC specifically.
Check out the game trailer here:
Here’s how DrinkBox Studios describes the game on its official website:
Seven years after defeating Carlos Calaca, Juan Aguacate is forced to don his luchador mask again to face a new threat — this time to the very fabric of space and time. Punch your way through a whole new action exploration-style world and try to save the Mexiverse!
Guacamelee! 2 is the sequel to the award-winning, Mexican-themed co-op-multiplayer Metroidvania action game, Guacamelee!. The studio took the time needed after finishing Guacamelee! to change gears with their following title Severed, all the while percolating new ideas for a Guacamelee! 2. Now, DrinkBox has happily returned to their much loved franchise.
- Non-Stop fighting action featuring an extensive move list
- Multi-dimensional Platforming
- Combat moves double as player movement mechanics, uniting platforming and fighting
- Amazing new player abilities: Eagle Boost, Chicken Glide, and many more non-bird-themed powers!
- A colorfully vibrant world containing dingy swamps, abandoned temples, arid deserts, and many other fun locations
- New rendering engine: Normal mapped characters and environments significantly enhance the game’s visuals
- Drop-in/out 4-player local co-operative play
- 300% more chickens
- 99% less memes