The Income Tax department recently announced on Twitter that the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has decided to give one-time relaxation for verification of e-filed Income Tax Return (ITR) for the Assessment Year (AY) of 2020-21. For the unversed, the process of filing the Income Tax Return (ITR) online is called e-filing. Also Read - How to link PAN with Aadhaar Card without internet
“CBDT provides one-time relaxation for verification of e-filed ITRs for AY 2020-21 which are pending for verification due to non-submission of ITR-V form or pending e-Verification,” Income Tax India tweeted. Also Read - ITR e-filing 2.0 portal: All you need to know about the new Income Tax e-filing website
On consideration of difficulties reported by taxpayers/stakeholders due to Covid & in e-filing of Audit reports for AY 2021-22 under the IT Act, 1961, CBDT further extends due dates for filing of Audit reports & ITRs for AY 21-22. Circular No. 01/2022 dated 11.01.2022 issued. pic.twitter.com/2Ggata8Bq3
— Income Tax India (@IncomeTaxIndia) January 11, 2022
To e-file your ITR, people need to create an account on the e-filing portal. Once done, you can log in and go ahead with the rest of the filing process. Here is a step-by-step guide on how you can do it now.
How to file your income tax return on the e-filing portal for AY 2021-22
- Visit the Income Tax e-filing website and select the ‘Login’ button.
- Log in to the portal by entering the username and password
- Once you are logged in, click on the “e-file” category, select ‘File Income Tax Return’ from the drop down
- Select the required Assessment year and click on “Continue”
- Select the filing mode as “online” and select ‘individual’ for the “Please select the status applicable to you to proceed” category
- Select the ITR form type as per your requirement
- Choose the right reason for filing the returns above the basic exempted limit from the given choices
- Enter your bank details
- Read the income tax return summary very carefully and edit the incorrect details, if any.
- After that, you need to verify the returns and send a hard copy to the Income Tax Department. You cannot skip this step in any condition, as verification is mandatory