Samsung recalled 2.5 million phones last week after the incident of battery explosion came into light. Several other customers also complained that their phone exploded during charging or answering calls. The smartphone company said battery problems led to the phones catching fire, adding that it was difficult to sort out the affected phones among the already sold ones. After faulty batteries led to a global recall of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones, Samsung Electronics will only use batteries made by China’s ATL for its replacement devices. After the recall announcement earlier this month, the South Korean company is reportedly said to have contacted ATL to order an additional four million batteries as replacements in the Galaxy Note 7 devices. It had procured most of the batteries from its subsidiary. Notedly, ATL also supplies batteries for Apple’s iPhone series, which means Samsung could face supply restraint if demand soars for the latest iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Also Read - Samsung reveals Galaxy Z Fold 3, Galaxy Z Flip 3 features officially, S Pen support confirmedAlso Read - Amazon Prime Day sale deals revealed: Discount on OnePlus Nord CE, Mi 11X, Samsung Galaxy M42
The Chinese company is set to become the sole battery supplier for Samsung by shipments for the time being since the company stopped receiving batteries from its main provider and has not found a third supplier. Reportedly, Samsung used to get 70% of its batteries from its subsidiary while 30% from ATL for Galaxy Note 7 devices. Samsung had earlier urged its consumers to stop using its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones and get a replacement soon.
“There have been a small number of cases reported globally and we are currently conducting a thorough inspection with our suppliers to identify possible affected batteries in the market. However, because our customers’ safety is an absolute priority at Samsung, we have stopped sales of the Galaxy Note 7,” the world’s largest smartphone maker said in a statement. “For customers who already have Galaxy Note 7 devices, we now ask that you power down your device and return to using your previous phone,” the statement added. “We will voluntarily replace your Galaxy Note 7 device with a new one,” the statement noted. ALSO READ: Samsung Galaxy Note 7: Here s everything you should know about the battery fiasco
Samsung plans to provide the replacement device beginning September 19 in South Korea, but schedules for other countries vary. “Samsung continues to ensure that consumer safety remains our top priority. We are asking users to power down their Galaxy Note7s and exchange them now,” said Tim Baxter, President of Samsung Electronics America, in an official statement. “New Note7 replacement devices will be issued to exchange program participants upon completion of the CPSC (US Consumer Product Safety Commission) process. In the interim, consumers can return their Note7 for another device,” Baxter said. ALSO READ: Pakistan International Airlines stops passengers from carrying Samsung Galaxy Note 7 on its planes