With the smartphones’ increasing ability to multitask and becoming a convenient medium to access a hoard of available services, we are now keeping our smartphones closer than ever. Although, recurring for a long time, a few instances in the past make us question if our smartphones can do more harm than good. In just a span of few months this year, there have been a handful of incidents where a smartphone caught fire and caused or came close to causing serious injury to the owner. Also Read - Why smartphones must be classified as an essential product during COVID-19 lockdowns
Yesterday, Gareth Clear, a management consultant from Sydney posted a tweet with a picture where he suffered third degree burns because of his Apple iPhone 6 catching fire. The incident took place when Clear fell of a bike and his iPhone 6 exploded in his back pocket, causing him serious burns on the back of his thigh. The burns are assumingly severe considering he mentioned in his tweet that he needed a skin graft surgery. Also Read - How is the Smartphone Industry Trend in 2021?
@tim_cook @AppleNewsAU @AppleNewsUK iPhone exploded in back pocket after bike fall. Skin graft surgery required pic.twitter.com/QG26cuLYXH Also Read - Flipkart Smartphones Carnival sale: Deals on Apple, Samsung, Poco, Realme, more smartphones
— Gareth Clear (@gareth_clear) July 31, 2016
Three days ago, a post on Weibo showed a busted up white color Xiaomi Mi 5. While the rest of the smartphone looked fine, the Mi 5’s battery was severely damaged. Reportedly, the Mi 5’s battery heated up and caused a mini explosion. Fortunately, no one was reported hurt.
Recently, a Xiaomi Mi 4i too had caught fire, which was captured by a CCTV. The footage was shared by user Ajay Raj Negi showing the Mi 4i catching fire while on charge. Negi posted the video on Xiaomi’s Mi Mobile Facebook page, where he is seen using the smartphone while on charge and suddenly the Mi 4i caught fire. Negi suddenly realized that the phone was burning up and he immediately moved away from the phone and alerted everyone around.
Back in March, there was another horrifying incident that took place where, a man was seen engulfed in fire after his phone caught fire in his pocket. According to DailyMail, the incident was believed to have taken place in Pakistan. A witness caught the incident on camera where the man can be seen running around frantically trying to put himself out.
In February, the NYPD’s 33rd Precinct in Washington Heights posted a tweet showing the aftermath of cell phone over-heating and catching fire, while kept under a user’s pillow. The burn looks terrible, however it isn’t sure if anyone was hurt in the incident.
Don’t put your cellphone under a pillow when sleeping or when charging your device.Please share this tip and b safe! pic.twitter.com/uwD3PXgVQf
— NYPD 33rd Precinct (@NYPD33Pct) February 16, 2016
The recurrent incidents really make call for smartphone manufacturing companies to give this issue a serious thought. As for the users, even though smartphones add expediency to our lives, it’s only wise to give it a thought how close — both metaphorically and physically — should we keep a smartphone to us.
Cover Image: Weibo