Samsung’s nightmare isn’t showing any signs of coming to an end anytime soon. If dealing with exploding Galaxy Note 7 units wasn’t enough, reports are now surfacing about exploding Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge units as well. In fact, the person who suffered burns after his Galaxy S7 edge exploded is suing Samsung for damages. Also Read - Samsung Galaxy F62 gets cheaper by Rs 6,000 in India: Check new priceAlso Read - These four popular Samsung phones get cheaper in India but for limited period
A US-based construction worker’s two-month-old Samsung Galaxy S7 edge smartphone exploded when it was in his pockets. Daniel Ramirez is said to have first heard a high-pitched whistling from his pockets, followed by a loud bang. The burning device not only burnt Ramirez’s clothes, but also his fingertips when he tried to remove it from the pockets. Since the incident, Ramirez has had multiple skin grafts to hide the burnt skin, and has had to go through rehab as well. Ramirez has sued Samsung in New Jersey, and his suit includes photos of his burnt clothes, and burnt skin on his hands and legs, ArsTechnica reports. We are aware of Mr. Ramirez s incident. We don t comment on pending litigation,” a Samsung spokesperson told the publication. Also Read - Top camera smartphones under Rs 20,000 in August 2021: Redmi Note 10 Pro Max, Moto G60 and more
Another incident reported involves this year’s flagship Samsung Galaxy S7 smartphone. Sarah Crockett, a UK-based teacher, narrowly escaped after her Galaxy S7 smartphone blew up in a busy cafe, The Sun reports. Crockett was sitting at the cafe with her husband and four-year-old son. “It suddenly just expanded in my hand and got really, really hot. I dropped it on the table. Within a few seconds there was smoke everywhere and I jumped out of the way. The whole thing was just barbecued.” Crockett shared a CCTV footage of the explosion in the cage, and the strange thing is that the smartphone wasn’t even being charged at the time of explosion. A Samsung spokesperson was quoted as saying, “There are no known safety issues with Galaxy S7 devices. This issue is currently being investigated and our customer services team is in contact with the customer regarding the matter.
These incidents couldn’t have come at a worse time for Samsung. The South Korean company is already battling to contain the bad PR that was caused due to the exploding Galaxy Note 7 units. Having said that, the Galaxy S7 and Galaxy S7 edge have been on sale for over six months and we haven’t heard of any widespread batter explosion incidents in the past. These look like isolated incidents and not related to the Galaxy Note 7.
Speaking of exploding Galaxy Note 7 units, Samsung is said to have come up with a quick fix of sorts. The company is set to issue an OTA update for the Galaxy Note 7 that will counter the overheating issues by limiting battery recharges to 60 percent, AP reports. Samsung will start rolling out the OTA update in South Korea from September 20. There is however no word on whether this OTA update will be issued in other markets as well.
Samsung has already acknowledged the problem with the battery and is now urging users to stop using the Galaxy Note 7. The company has also urged customers who have bought the device to return it, and get them replaced with safer units. In India, the Galaxy Note 7 was scheduled to go on sale earlier this month, but it has now been postponed. In the meanwhile, airlines world over, including India, have begun warning passengers from checking in the Galaxy Note 7 or using/charging it in flight. ALSO READ: Samsung Galaxy Note 7: Here s everything you should know about the battery fiasco