comscore Android Nougat adoption picks up pace, now on 2.4% of devices: Android distribution for March 2017 | BGR India
News

Android Nougat adoption picks up pace, now on 2.4% of devices: Android distribution for March 2017

Adoption of Android Nougat has improved this month.

android-nougat

Google is on its way towards announcing the next iteration of its popular Android platform. Dubbed Android O, it is expected to debut with the next set of Pixel smartphones. Meanwhile, the current version, Android 7.0 Nougat is gradually picking up pace and now runs on 2.4 percent of devices. The latest Android distribution figures for the period ending March 6, 2017 reveal the total adoption of the Android 7.0 version is higher than that of Android 7.1 which stands at just 0.4 percent.

With the roll out of Android 7.0 Nougat on more devices, the distribution has significantly improved since February when it constituted a total of 1.2 percent. This records a rise of 1.6 percent from the previous month. The preceding version to Nougat – Android 6.0 Marshmallow– continues to have a strong share at 31.3 percent.

If compared to last month, the adoption was at 30.7 percent which essentially means in the last one month, more devices have moved towards Marshmallow. ALSO READ: Google’s senior executive hints Android O could be called Oreo, but don’t jump to conclusions yet

Talking about Android Lollipop – initially launched in 2014 – is undeniably going strong in the third year of its existence. According to latest data, Android 5.0 Lollipop is running on 9.4 percent of devices while the 5.1 version is running on 23.1 percent of devices. This takes the total share to 32.5 percent, beating Marshmallow with a few points. However, compared to last month, the adoption level has gone down by 0.4 percent. Although it is too early to predict that with the coming of Android O, Lollipop will exit the market, but a gradual decline is noticeable.

Some of the older versions of Android are stable based on the fresh data. Android Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich, are still at 1 percent. Jelly Bean witnessed a 0.7 decrease while KitKat went down 1.1 percent. In January, Android Froyo was recorded running on less than 0.1 percent devices, and for the first time did not make it to the list, marking the demise of the OS iteration. ALSO READ: Google, Oreo partner to build space dunk game

BONUS VIDEO: Sundar Pichai at IIT KGP

For the latest tech news across the world, latest PC and Mobile games, tips & tricks, top-notch gadget reviews of most exciting releases follow BGR India’s Facebook, Twitter, subscribe our YouTube Channel.
  • Published Date: March 8, 2017 3:24 PM IST