comscore Apple App Store downloads top 40 billion, has 500 million active accounts | BGR India
News

Apple App Store downloads top 40 billion, has 500 million active accounts

Apple might never participate at CES but it knows how to time its announcement to ensure it dominate the mind share. Just hours before CES 2013 officially kicks off, Apple has announced its App Store

Apple might never participate at CES but it knows how to time its announcement to ensure it dominate the mind share. Just hours before CES 2013 officially kicks off, Apple has announced its App Store has topped 40 billion downloads, half of which came in 2012 alone! The iPhone maker says there are over 500 million active App Store accounts and over 2 billion downloads happened in December alone.

The 40 billion downloads number excludes redownloads and updates, which points to a massive adoption of iOS platform and its app ecosystem. “It has been an incredible year for the iOS developer community,” said Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. “Developers have made over seven billion dollars on the App Store, and we continue to invest in providing them with the best ecosystem so they can create the most innovative apps in the world.”

Apple keeps 30 percent of revenue and passes on the remaining 70 percent to developers. This indicates that Apple made over $3 billion from selling apps alone. The App Store now houses 775,000 apps for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, of which approximately 300,000 are for the iPad alone. The App Store is available in 155 countries around the world.

For the latest tech news across the world, latest PC and Mobile games, tips & tricks, top-notch gadget reviews of most exciting releases follow BGR India’s Facebook, Twitter, subscribe our YouTube Channel.
  • Published Date: January 7, 2013 7:25 PM IST