It seems that ghosts from the past are hard to overlook. In what could be considered as another wake up call for manufacturers to start building safer phones, and for users to be cautious while charging these devices, insurer State Farm and one of its customers have reportedly sued Apple for a faulty iPhone 4S that caused a fire. The damages sought are in excess of $75,000. Also Read - Apple Podcasts Subscriptions and channels go live in 170 countries starting todayAlso Read - Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus, S22 set to annoy plastic haters in 2022
State Farm and its customer Xai Thao allege that the older iPhone 4S had a defective battery which caused a fire last year. The joint lawsuit claims that the device failed and started a fire at Thao s home in 2014. Also Read - Apple TV+ free trial will now be available for 3 months instead of a year: What to do?
Interestingly, the claims do not specify if the phone was being charged at that moment or if original accessories were used and whether Apple was given the chance to examine the phone. However, Thao claims that she had not done anything to the battery at all. Meanwhile, the lawsuit claims that preliminary investigations show that there were remnants of internal shorting, indicating an internal failure of the phone s battery caused the fire, Cnet reports.
The lawsuit further states that the Thao’s iPhone 4S was ‘in a defective and unreasonably dangerous condition’ when it was bought for inspection. It is worth mentioning that the iPhone 4S, launched first in 2011, has not been linked with major incidents of fire hazard since its launch. ALSO READ: Apple iPhone 9 to house L-shaped battery supplied by LG: Report
Smartphones going ashen is not unusual. In 2016, an iPhone 6 Plus, belonging to a Californian woman, reportedly exploded while it was on charge. The iPhone burnt while Yvette Estrada was sleeping. The device was just three months old and was being charged by an original charger. In a separate incident, a New Jersey student s iPhone 6 Plus exploded in his back pocket, piercing a hole through his jeans.
Last year, Samsung faced global embarrassment owing to the explosive batteries in its Galaxy Note 7 phablet device. After multiple inspections and public apologies, the company assured customers that going forward its devices will house safer batteries. Although the South Korean copany has been able to overcome past issues with the successful launch of the Galaxy S8 lineup, there still remains a cause of concern for the upcoming Galaxy Note 7 Fan Edition. ALSO READ: Samsung relaunching the Galaxy Note 7 Fan Edition is literally playing with fire
Meanwhile, a Xiaomi phone reportedly went up in flames in Bangalore. A video showcasing the Redmi Note 4 exploding is doing the rounds of the internet. Although the authenticity of the video is yet to be ascertained, the video shows the device catching fire when a store owner is trying to insert a SIM card.