Apple iPhone 8 wireless charging performance better than iPhone X

Wireless charging might be the new black, but wired charging still gives better results on the newer iPhones.

  • Updated: January 5, 2018 2:48 PM IST

Wireless charging is one of the most sought-after features when it comes to premium phones and Apple added the capability to its iPhones released in 2017. However, a recent charging comparison done by Tom’s Guide between the iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone 8 gives a reality check on how efficient the wireless charging format is as compared to traditional wired charging.

The iPhone X and the iPhone 8, both use 5W and 7.5W chargers, which make the charging times slower than wired charging anyway. However, between the two models, the charging comparison test found that wired charging on the iPhone X is faster than wireless charging, especially with the use of a USB-C charger, whereas wireless charging is the fastest on the iPhone 8. For the tests, the team used Mophie Charge Force Wireless Charging Base, Mophie Wireless Charging Base, against wired charging using a fast adapter and Apple‘s in-the-box Lightning adapter.

The iPhone X, which is claimed to achieve up to 50 percent charge in 30 minutes and offer battery capacity that lasts up to 2 hours longer than the iPhone 7, reached 10 percent through the fast wireless charger and the regular wireless charger in 15 minutes. However, the in-the-box Lightning adapter helped achieve slightly more power at 14 percent with same charging duration. When charged using a combination of USB-C power adapter and USB-C-to-Lightning adapter, the power achieved is 24 percent in 15 minutes. However, for that, you will need to shell out extra money. Mophie’s fast wireless charger resulted in 20 percent of power, while the standard wireless charger helped attain 17 percent. After 30 minutes of charging, Apple’s in-the-box Lightning adapter only took the power up at 17 percent, whereas the fast wired charging method achieved 50 percent in same charging duration.

The iPhone 8 Plus achieved 12 percent of power with Mophie’s fast wireless charger in 15 minutes of use, whereas, the standard wireless charger only achieved 7 percent and the wired Lightning cable helped achieve only 11 percent. With wireless charger, the fast format delivered 23 percent power after 30 minutes, while the regular wireless charger took the levels up at only 16 percent. The in-the-box Lightning adapter performed better than the wireless charger by delivering 26 percent power after 30 minutes of use. With the combination of USB C adapters, the iPhone 8 Plus can achieve 47 percent of power after 30 minutes of charging.

The test results favored the iPhone 8 the most when it came to wireless charging. The device attained 4 percent power after 15 minutes with a standard charger and 10 percent after 30 minutes of charging. With a fast wireless charger, the power attained was 10 percent after 15 minutes and 21 percent after 30 minutes of charging.

Using the in-the-box Apple’s Lightning adapter delivered 13 percent of power in 15 minutes of charge and 30 percent in 30 minutes, which is more than twice the amount of power. If you use a combination of USB-C and USB-C-to-Lightning cable, you can achieve 26 percent power in 15 minutes and 49 percent power in 30 minutes.

So essentially, a fast wireless charger with 7.5W power is best suited than a standard Qi charger for the newer iPhones. However, the best way to quickly charge your iPhone is through a combination of USB-C charger and USB-C-to-Lightning cable.

You Might be Interested

Apple iPhone 8


iOS 11
A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture Embedded M11 motion coprocessor
12 MP with OIS, ƒ/1.8 aperture
Apple iPhone 8 Plus


iOS 11
A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture Embedded M11 motion coprocessor
dual 12MP camera f/1.8 and f/2.8 apertures with wide-angle lens, telephoto lens
Apple iPhone X


iOS 11
A11 Bionic 64-bit chipset with M11 motion coprocessor
dual 12MP camera f/1.8 and f/2.8 apertures with dual OIS
  • Published Date: January 5, 2018 2:42 PM IST
  • Updated Date: January 5, 2018 2:48 PM IST