In the past couple of years, we have come across multiple incidences where smartphones exploded and caught fire as a result of faulty batteries. Now, in the latest incident, an iPad reportedly exploded inside an Apple Store in Amsterdam, after which the store was evacuated. The cause of explosion is attributed to an overheated or a leaky battery.
Soon after the iPad caught fire, it was placed in a bucket filled with sand, thus preventing further damage. According to a report on Dutch media ATS, the incident did not cause any serious injuries. However, some people did suffer from temporary breathing issues from vapor emitted from the iPad, and were treated by the emergency medical services.
Soon after the iPad fire was dozed, fire brigade arrived on the spot, and the store was closed temporarily. After the fire threat was called off, the store was re-opened and customers were allowed to enter the store again. “Probably there is a leaking battery pack,” a spokesman from the fire brigade told the publication. However, the is no word on the iPad model that exploded.
Watch: Apple iPhone X Review
This is not the first time. Earlier this year in January, an iPhone battery injured a repairman in an Apple store in Zurich, after which around 50 people were evacuated from the store. In 2016, an iPhone 7 reportedly exploded in transit, even before the shipment was delivered to the customer.
Most of these issues have occurred due to faulty lithium-ion batteries, which does raise questions about their safety. If your smartphone or tablet battery heats up unusually, it would be a good idea to visit the service center and get it replaced.