comscore Asus breaks up with Intel, looks at Qualcomm and Mediatek for Zenfone 3 smartphones | BGR India

Asus breaks up with Intel, looks at Qualcomm and Mediatek for Zenfone 3 smartphones

Asus was the only brand had gone exclusively with Intel for its smartphones.


We recently reported about Intel packing its bags from the mobile industry to focus on future telecommunication 5G networks along with cloud and data centers. Intel’s departure from smartphone segment is likely to impact its tie up with Asus, which is one of very few smartphone brands to offer smartphones with Intel SoC-based smartphones. Asus’ CEO Jerry Shen has now confirmed that the company’s next Zenfone series will be based on Qualcomm and MediaTek processors, DigiTimes reports.

Asus is banking on Qualcomm as the CEO reveals 90 percent of the Zenfone 3 series smartphones will be based on Snapdragon chipsets whereas the MediaTek will power the remaining 10 percent. Shen also confirmed that the Zenfone series will debut in June, which is bit later than previously reported. It is likely for Asus to unveil the smartphone at Computex, which takes place in Taipei every year.

The new Zenfone series will target the mid-range segment and that the average selling price will be higher than the previous generations, which could be due to higher focus on Qualcomm-based smartphones. Currently, the Asus Zenfone series is comprised of smartphones priced between Rs 10,000 and Rs 20,000. Considering that the Zenfone 3 will be mid-range focused, we can speculate it to be closer to Rs 15,000-Rs 20,000 price bracket.

Little is known about the Zenfone 3 series smartphones, though two unannounced devices were spotted online recently. The Asus smartphones with model number Z010DD and Z012D, believed to be part of the Zenfone 3 range, come with Android 6.0 Marshmallow out of the box as well as a fingerprint scanner.

The Asus Z010DD features a 5.9-inch HD (1280×720 pixels) display, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 615 octa-core chipset and 3GB of RAM. It also features 32GB internal storage, 13-megapixel rear camera, 5-megapixel selfie camera.

The Asus Z012D comes with a 5.5-inch full HD (1920×1080 pixels) display, Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 650 hexa-core chipset clocked at 1.7GHz and 3GB of RAM. It also features 32GB internal storage.

For the latest tech news across the world, latest PC and Mobile games, tips & tricks, top-notch gadget reviews of most exciting releases follow BGR India’s Facebook, Twitter, subscribe our YouTube Channel.
  • Published Date: May 13, 2016 4:48 PM IST