Another week passes by in the world of tech. Just like the previous weeks, this week was packed with action. From Andy Rubin s Essential Phone to Micromax s YU Yureka Black, there were some major announcements in the world tech. While we moved on from the terror of WannaCry ransomware, the week was served with a whole lot of specifications to wrap our minds around. And then there was Qualcomm s Quick Charge 4+ standard, making fast charging even faster. So, without further ado, let s quickly recap the week that was. Also Read - Best smartphones for photography under Rs 20,000 to gift for Father's DayAlso Read - E3 2021: What is it, entire schedule, how to watch livestream for free, what to expect
All said and done, the biggest news of the week has to be the very special announcement from HMD Global that all Indians have been waiting for. HMD has sent invites for a special event scheduled on June 13th and we might finally get to lay our hands on Nokia 6, Nokia 5 and Nokia 3 smartphones. While the iconic Nokia 3310 already arrived in India for Rs 3310 last week (along with some impressive clones), the new devices will be the first ever Nokia smartphones in the country.
After Nokia, if there is any brands Indians are obsessed with, it has to be Motorola. Lenovo finally unveiled the Motorola Moto Z2 Play smartphone, the flagship for this rest of the year and the device continues the Moto Z Play tradition ahead. Equipped with Moto Mods, the smartphone comes in a sleek new avatar and is a thinner version of the predecessor. Moto Z2 Play has ditched the glass back and comes in a new unibody design with a circular camera module on the rear. Unfortunately, the phone was launched only in the US with no word on the launch date for India and other markets though India being a key market, the launch cannot be too far off.
While Moto Z2 Play has to reach Indian shores, the one premium phone the country did see this week was the Sony Xperia XZ Premium. Sony has made quite a comeback with the device and the phone takes the Sony XZ series ahead. Unveiled first at MWC 2017, the phone will be up for sale in the country starting June 12 and is priced at Rs Rs 59,990. The phone is an Amazon India exclusive in the country. The phone will compete with some of the best flagships currently ruling the Indian market, especially the Samsung Galaxy S8.
Micromax, the desi brand, launched the YU Yureka Black smartphone in the country. This is the first launch under the YU series since late 2016. Being a budget offering, it will take on the Xiaomi devices in the price-range.
Andy Rubin‘s Essential Phone, which saw hundreds of leaks, rumors and a whole lot of interest finally arrived this week. The smartphone is a top-of-the-line device that comes with great features. Unfortunately, the phone is not launched in India and there is no word on whether the phone will ever make it to Indian shores.
HMD Global June 13 India Event
- HMD Global sends official invite for June 13 India event, could launch Nokia 3, Nokia 5, Nokia 6
- Nokia 9 with 8GB of RAM spotted on Geekbench
- Nokia smartphones will receive Android O update: HMD Global
Moto Z2 Play with Moto Mods
- Moto Z2 Play with Moto Mod support, 4GB of RAM, Android 7.1.1 Nougat launched: Price, specifications, features
- Moto Z2 Play listed on Brazilian website ahead of the official launch
Sony Xperia XZ Premium
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium, first smartphone with Snapdragon 835 launched in India: Price, specifications and features
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium just stole OnePlus 5’s thunder
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium: Top 5 features
- Sony Xperia XZ Premium first impressions: Betting on Snapdragon 835 SoC and camera prowess
YU Yureka Black
- Yu Yureka Black First Impressions: Mid-range perks on a budget smartphone
- YU Yureka Black: From 5-inch full HD display to 13-megapixel rear camera, here are top 5 features
- YU Yureka Black with 4GB of RAM, Snapdragon 430 SoC launched, priced at Rs 8,999: Specifications, features
- YU Yureka Black to go on sale via Flipkart on June 6: Price, specifications and features
Andy Rubin s Essential Phone
- After Essential Phone, Andy Rubin wants to take a shot at Google Glass-like smart glasses
- Andy Rubin s Essential Phone to go on sale in late June; Ambient OS to follow Android s open source philosophy
- Essential Phone by the creator of Android checks the right boxes, but would India even care?
- Andy Rubin s Essential PH-1 vs Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Sony Xperia XZ Premium: Price, specifications, features compared
- Andy Rubin s Essential Phone with 5.7-inch QHD display, Snapdragon 835 SoC launched: Price, specifications, features