In the world of technology, October began with a bang. Google launched its much-awaited Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 smartphones. It also surprised everyone with a slew of new hardware products. The week continued with more updates on the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus swelling in the middle. This was followed with Xiaomi announcing the launch of Mi MIX 2 in India scheduled to take place on October 11. Amazon quietly launched its first ever Echo products in India. Another smartphone launch took place in Goa, which was the Honor 9i boasting a total of four cameras. Here s a closer look at the top stories of the week. Also Read - Amazon's new music sharing feature lets users share music Echo devices: How to enableAlso Read - Amazon is reportedly working on a wall-mounted Echo device
Google Pixel 2 launch event
Google s next-generation Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL smartphones come with upgraded features and specifications. The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 are both powered by Qualcomm s Snapdragon 835 SoC paired with 4GB of RAM. The front and rear cameras on the smartphones are equipped with Machine Learning-based Portrait mode for DSLR-like bokeh effects. The smartphones run on the latest Android 8.0 Oreo, and are IP67 certified for water and dust resistance. In India, prices for the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL start at Rs 61,000 and Rs 73,000 respectively.
Google s line of new hardware products includes Google Clips, Pixel Buds, Pixelbook, Google Home Mini and Google Home Max. Google Clips is an AI-powered portable camera that automatically detects and captures photos, and soundless videos. Pixel Buds are wired earphones powered by Google Assistant, and with a cool feature of real-time translation. Pixelbook is the first laptop with built-in Google Assistant, and also comes with support for Pixelbook Pen. The mini and max versions of Google Home pose as potential threats to Amazon Echo and Apple s upcoming HomePod.
Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus swelling
Within a week of its commercial release, some iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus users in Taiwan and Japan reported swelling of the devices. The batteries inside the devices swelled up causing a very evident bulge. Starting with two reports, it brought four more iPhone 8 users stating similar experiences. Apple has issued a statement saying that it is looking into the matter . It is however yet to release an official statement regarding the reason behind the iPhone 8 duo swelling.
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 launch announcement
Xiaomi surprised its fans in India by announcing the launch date of the Mi MIX 2. Xiaomi will be launching the Mi MIX 2 next Tuesday, on October 11. The Mi MIX 2 is expected to be the most expensive Xiaomi smartphone launched in India. It is also the first Mi MIX device coming to India. With a bezel-less design, the Mi MIX 2 flaunts a 5.99-inch full HD+ display, is powered by the Snapdragon 835 SoC, and runs on Android Nougat.
Amazon Echo debut in India
Soon after launching a series of smart home products in the US, Amazon launched its Echo smart speakers in India. The series includes Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, and Echo Plus. The Echo Dot is priced at Rs 4,999, while the Echo will be available at Rs 9,999. On the other hand, the Echo Plus will be available for Rs 14,999. Amazon will also be launching its in-house Prime Music service very soon in India. You can currently request for an invite to purchase the Echo products. Amazon also has an introductory offer of 30 percent discount.
Honor 9i launch
Last but not the least, the Honor 9i with two dual cameras was launched in India at Rs 17,999. The Honor 9i sports a combination of 13-megapixel and 2-megapixel cameras at the front. At the rear, the setup includes a 16-megapixel and 2-megapixel cameras. The Honor 9i also boasts a 5.9-inch full HD+ display with 18:9 aspect ratio, and 83 percent screen-to-body ratio. It is claimed to be Honor s first full view display smartphone. The Honor 9i will be available for sale exclusively on Flipkart from October 14.
Google Pixel 2 launch
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL launched: Price, specifications and features
- Google Pixel 2 vs Samsung Galaxy S8 vs Apple iPhone 8: Price, specifications, features compared
- Google Home Mini, Google Home Max launched: Now do much more with Google Assistant
- Google Pixel Buds: Meet the wired, Apple AirPods competitor with Google Assistant and realtime translation
- Google Pixelbook: Apple iPad Pro, Microsoft Surface killer with built-in Google Assistant launched
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL India prices start at Rs 61,000 up to Rs 82,000; here is when they go on sale in India
- Google Clips is an AI-powered portable camera that automatically takes photos, soundless videos
- Google Pixel 2 XL vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8 vs Apple iPhone 8 Plus: Price, specifications and features comparison
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL: From big display to active edge, here are the top features
- Google Pixel 2 vs Pixel: What s different?
- Google Pixel 2 XL vs Google Pixel XL: What s different
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL first impressions roundup: What early previews say
- Google Pixel 2: Even if the newest flagship doesn t succeed, Android is still winning
- Google poked fun at Apple for ditching the 3.5mm audio jack last year, only to do it with Pixel 2
- Pixel 2 Google Photos unlimited storage is not truly unlimited after all
- Google Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL gets iOS 11 s DND driving mode
Apple iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus swelling
- Apple iPhone 8 Plus screen splitting because of alleged battery problem, company starts investigation
- Apple investigating claims of iPhone 8 splitting open while charging
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus batteries swelling reports continue, Apple is looking into the matter
Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 India
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 confirmed to launch in India on October 10
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 First Impressions: This Mi is absolutely beautiful
- Xiaomi Mi MIX 2 Review: When a smartphone becomes an experience
Amazon Echo Dot India
- Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Plus, Alexa-powered smart speakers launched in India, prices starting Rs 4,499
Honor 9i launch
- Honor 9i with 2 dual-cameras, edge-to-edge display launched in India: Price, specifications
- Honor 9i First Impressions: This pocket-friendly phone might give a tough time to the premium biggies
- Honor 9i vs Xiaomi Mi A1 vs Nokia 6 vs Moto G5S Plus: Price, specifications, features compared
You Might be Interested