comscore Facebook discovered a bug that automatically unblocked users on Facebook and Messenger
News

Facebook discovered a bug that automatically unblocked users on Facebook and Messenger

Blocked users were able to get access to profiles and message users who had blocked them

  • Published: July 3, 2018 12:32 PM IST
Facebook Bug

Facebook on Monday reported about a temporary bug that automatically unblocked people who had been blocked by users on both Facebook and Messenger. The company apologized through a blogpost and stated that it will be notifying about 8,00,000 users in the next few days, who had been affected by the bug. Facebook also stated to have found a fix for the bug, which was active from May 29 to June 5. Also Read - Meta opens new office in Gurugram, to skill 1 crore small businesses, 2,50,000 creators

Also Read - Facebook Gaming launches Pac-Man Community: Features online multi-player mode

When you block someone on Facebook, they cannot see your post and do not have access to your profile. It s a feature introduced to tackle online bullying and harassment among many other things. However, the new bug found by Facebook, allowed blocked users to be able to see content that users shared with friends. Blocked users were able to contact people who have blocked them on Messenger as well. Also Read - Big threat for Google, Twitter, WhatsApp, and LinkedIn users

Facebook noticed the bug on May 31, but it took the company till June 5 to find a solution for it. The company also stated that out of the all the people affected, about 83 percent of the users only had one person unblocked from their list. However, the remaining 17 percent of people have had more than one person unblocked. For that reason, Facebook will be reaching out to all the affected users, asking them to check their blocked list.

Watch: Honor 10 First Look

Facebook is increasingly facing criticism for its privacy mishaps. Only a few weeks ago, the company reported another bug, which turned private posts of about 14 million users to public. While Facebook found a solution for the problem, it doesn t raise confidence in the company s ability to keep its user data safe.

For the latest tech news across the world, latest PC and Mobile games, tips & tricks, top-notch gadget reviews of most exciting releases follow BGR India’s Facebook, Twitter, subscribe our YouTube Channel. Also follow us on  Facebook Messenger for latest updates.
  • Published Date: July 3, 2018 12:32 PM IST



new arrivals in india

Best Sellers