Facebook has announced its Messenger app now has over a billion monthly active users. Facebook separated the Messenger app as a standalone app in 2014. Facebook has asked users to download Messenger app rather than to continue using the private message feature on the main Facebook app itself. Also Read - Big threat for Google, Twitter, WhatsApp, and LinkedIn usersAlso Read - Facebook Messenger introduces a new Split Payments feature: How to use it
Facebook now owns three apps with more than 1 billion users. Starting with Facebook app which is the most popular, with 1.5 billion monthly active users. WhatsApp crossed 1 billion monthly active users in February 2016. Facebook owned Instagram too has over 500 million monthly active users.
To celebrate the same Facebook has a new Easter egg hidden in the Messenger app. All you need to do is send a balloon emoji to any of your friends, and the animation should automatically appear on the screen. However it looks like a temporary feature just like the flower emoji reaction Facebook used during Mother s Day.
While you sit back and send the balloon emoji to celebrate the milestone, here are 10 facts you should know about Facebook Messenger.
- Facebook Messenger is now used by 1 billion users every month.
- People send over a billion messages every month between customers and business. The company says that the number has more than doubled in the past year.
- Facebook Messenger now is the second most popular iOS app after Facebook.
- Messenger app has been downloaded more than 1 billion times on Android platform.
- More than 22 million GIFs are sent every day via Messenger which translates to about 254 GIF’s per second.
- Every month, an average of more than 17 billion photos are shared with friends and family through Messenger app.
- Facebook keeps updating its sticker packs frequently. As of now, there are more than 250 sticker packs available on Messenger with more than 4,000 stickers. More than 380 million stickers are sent every day.
- Facebook Messenger offers secret games like basketball and football. The games are so addictive that people have played 1.2 billion games of basketball.
- People make around 10 percent VoIP calls globally through Messenger app.
- Since its launch earlier this year, over 18,000 bots have been created on Messenger and over 23,000 developers have signed up for Wit.ai’s Bot Engine since then.