comscore LG to compete with Samsung for supplying OLED displays for the Apple iPhone 8
News

LG to compete with Samsung for supplying OLED displays for the Apple iPhone 8

Apple is reportedly believed to manufacture over 80 million units of iPhone 8 with OLED panels this year itself.

apple-iphone7-iphone7plus-hands-on-bgr-2

Apple iPhone 8 and Google s upcoming Pixel 2 smartphones are virtually in competition even before both the devices go into production. Both Google and Apple are reportedly eyeing at securing OLED displays for their next flagship smartphones and subsequently planning to invest hugely in LG Display s OLED manufacturing units. Also Read - Apple AR headset to launch in late 2022 with mac-level computing power: Kuo

Also Read - Xiaomi India could soon start a repair program similar to Apple's Self Service Repair program

Earlier this month, reports suggested that Google aims to invest around $1 billion in LG Display to secure OLED displays for the Pixel 2 series smartphones. While nothing seems confirmed on papers from both the parties, LG seems to have its hands dipped in an apparently bigger opportunity as Apple competes for the same. LG Display is expected to confirm supplying OLED displays for the iPhone 8 during a board meeting in June, later this year. Also Read - Samsung Galaxy A03 with 48MP camera, 5,000mAh battery announced

“We received a request to take part in a bid for receiving an order for small and medium-sized OLEDs from Apple,” a senior official at LG Display was quoted saying on Business Korea. The official further added saying At the end of June, we will make a decision based on OLED production technology, capacity and the accompanying investment volume in an extraordinary board meeting.”

LG s biggest competitor in the smartphone OLED display market is Samsung, which presently owns 95 percent of the market share. The rest 5 percent remains with LG and other Korean suppliers. Also, earlier reports suggest that Apple has already inked a deal with Samsung worth over $9 billion for its OLED display.

With smartphone manufacturers shifting their focus LCD display panels to OLED panels, LG is expected to make huge investments in its OLED manufacturing units to meet required demands. Apple is believed to import OLED displays from Korean suppliers including Samsung Display. As Apple is new in OLED space, Samsung is said to dominate the supply chain for a while. ALSO READ: Apple iPhone 8 schematics show off all screen display, thin bezels on all sides

The report also notes that Samsung s System LSI is about to get an estimated amount of US $422 million for supplying a display driver chip. Notably, one unit of display driver chip costs Apple about 5$. This leads to a speculation that the Cupertino giant could possibly manufacture over 80 million units of iPhone 8 with OLED display panel this year itself.

For the latest tech news across the world, latest PC and Mobile games, tips & tricks, top-notch gadget reviews of most exciting releases follow BGR India’s Facebook, Twitter, subscribe our YouTube Channel. Also follow us on  Facebook Messenger for latest updates.
  • Published Date: April 18, 2017 7:10 PM IST
  • Updated Date: April 18, 2017 7:16 PM IST


You Might be Interested

Google Pixel 2

42000

Android 8.0.1, Oreo
Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core 2.35GHz + 1.9GHz, 64-Bit Processor
12.2 MP with f/1.8 aperture
Apple iPhone 8

42600

iOS 11
A11 Bionic chip with 64-bit architecture Embedded M11 motion coprocessor
12 MP with OIS, ƒ/1.8 aperture

new arrivals in india

Best Sellers