Ever since Samsung’s ill-fated encounter with the Galaxy Note 7, reports of smartphones heating up or exploding tend to be taken more seriously. Occurring in countries worldwide, there have been smartphones from companies including Samsung, Apple and Xiaomi which have reportedly exploded. The latest incident happened in India last Friday where a Galaxy J7 smartphone caught fire mid-air in a Jet Airways aircraft flying from Delhi to Indore. Also Read - Amazon Prime Day sale deals revealed: Discount on OnePlus Nord CE, Mi 11X, Samsung Galaxy M42Also Read - Galaxy A22 replaces M42 5G to become the cheapest 5G Samsung phone in India
As reported by Hindustan Times, the Galaxy J7 was one among three other smartphones kept inside the bag of a Delhi resident, Arpita Dhal. Fifteen minutes into the journey, Arpita discovered smoke coming out from her bag after which she called the crew members called for help. The Jet Airways managed to stop the smoke with extinguishers. Even though the situation was taken care of, the Galaxy J7 was still kept in a tray of water for the rest of the journey. The other smartphones were also kept in the tray as an act of precaution.
Arpita was quoted by HT as saying, “I will complain against Jet Airways after I return home. This is a question of safety of passengers in flights. If there is a major fire or blast what will they do when their fire extinguishers don t work like this.”
Jet Airways responded saying that it handled the situation and took precautionary measures as per the guidelines. The reason behind smoke emitting from the Galaxy J7 is still unknown. The device is currently under investigation. A Samsung India spokesperson responded saying, “We are in touch with relevant authorities for more information. At Samsung, customer safety is top priority.” ALSO READ: Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 allegedly explodes in user s pocket: Report
The Samsung Galaxy Note 7 heating up or exploding primarily happened due to faulty batteries on devices. This particular case may or may not be due to the fault of the smartphone company, but can be due to usage of cheap aftermarket batteries. Smartphones which come with removable batteries are often replaced with cheaper and unreliable ones. This has been discovered to be the cause behind explosions in smartphones. As for Samsung, past incidents with a Galaxy Note 4 in the US, and an old Galaxy Duos in Indonesia were because of faulty batteries not issued by the company. RELATED: Galaxy Duos smartphone bursts in Indonesia, but here s why Samsung isn t to blame