Samsung’s nightmare with batteries in its smartphones looks far from over. Despite CEO DJ Koh assuring that the battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is “safer than ever”, we have come across a report about the device catching fire.
A woman from Long Island New York has reportedly filed a lawsuit against Samsung after a Galaxy Note 9 burst into flames in her purse. Real estate agent Diane Chung claims to have had a “traumatic” experience on September 3, when she was in an elevator, New York Post reports.
Chung says that she had to stop using her brand new Galaxy Note 9, and keep it inside her purse when it “became extremely hot”. She then suddenly heard “whistling and screeching” sounds just before “thick smoke” started pouring out from her bag. Chung threw the bag on the floor desperately trying to empty it, and in the process also burning her fingers.
When the elevator finally reached the lobby, she kicked the bag out of the elevator. But the mobile phone didn’t stop burning till a man grabbed it with a cloth and put it in a bucket of water. Chung has since filed a lawsuit in the Queens Supreme Court seeking unspecified damages. She is also seeking a restraining order that will bar Samsung from selling the Galaxy Note 9.
Watch: Samsung Galaxy Note 9 First Look
This year’s Galaxy Note 9 boasts a 4,000mAh battery under the hood, which is the biggest ever on a Samsung flagship device. The company claimed that it will not only offer impressive battery performance, but it is safe as well. To ensure there is no repeat of Galaxy Note 7-like fiasco, Samsung claimed that it has put in place many more battery safety checks.
Despite the report surfacing online, this could just be a one-off instance. Nonetheless, we have reached out to Samsung for a statement on this incident. We will update the copy as and when we hear from the company.