After a case of iPhone battery fire was reported yesterday at an Apple Store in Zurich, another one has now taken place in Spain.
First reported by Las Provincias, the incident took place 3:00AM IST, when firefighters and police were called but reportedly didn’t intervene, as Apple workers managed to air out the store by opening windows and smothering the battery with sand.
Fortunately, there were no injuries reported, despite the battery exploding instead of burning.
The fire in the Spanish Apple Store comes just a day after a man was injured in Zurich when an iPhone battery overheated and exploded at an Apple Store. The incident lead to a temporary evacuation.
“According to Zurich City police, the device suddenly exploded for an unknown reason as it was being removed by a repair worker on Tuesday, burning his hand slightly. Seven other people received medical attention but were not hospitalised,” the report said.
An Apple Insider report points out that “the two fires could be connected to Apple‘s discounted replacements in the wake of admitting it slows down iPhones with weak batteries. A higher number of people are likely bringing in iPhones for service, increasing the odds of trouble, especially with components as volatile as lithium-ion batteries.”