UCWeb, the company behind UC Browser and the UCCleaner app, conducted a study on the mobile Internet surfing habits of users in India. Some of the interesting takeaways from this study include facts like over 65 percent users surf the Internet on smartphones priced below Rs 10,000, as well as their surfing habits.
Besides the kind of smartphones in use, the study also reveals the concentration of mobile Internet users based on the geography, and the metros still lead the list. Further findings include the age and gender of the users, as well as the kind of websites and services they use.
Here are ten key findings of the Internet browsing trends:
- 65 percent users surf the Internet on smartphones priced below Rs 10,000
- 45 percent of these users search for smartphones priced over Rs 10,000 with the intention of buying one.
- 23.8 percent of users hail from Maharashtra, followed by Delhi (15.8 percent), West Bengal (14.1 percent), and Karnataka (5.8 percent).
- Breaking down the numbers further, Mumbai leads the way with 17.28 percent mobile Internet users followed by Delhi (16.96 percent), Kolkata (11.57 percent), Chennai (8.07 percent) and Bangalore (5.94 percent).
- 80 percent users are aged 25 years or younger.
- Over 90 percent users are males.
- Nearly 70 percent users have 20 apps or less installed on their phones.
- As for the apps themselves, 72 percent use a browser, 55.7 percent use a social network, followed by games (45.9 percent) and instant messaging apps (37.1 percent).
- Internet usage habits include downloading, followed by Facebook, search, photo viewing, shopping and news.
- As far as the content is concerned, music is the most downloaded thing on the Internet, followed by videos, photos and apps.