WWDC 2017 live updates: Here’s what to expect from Apple’s developer conference
Apple’s WWDC 2017 kicks off at 10:30PM IST tonight.
Apple s annual developer conference kicks off tonight at 10:30PM IST. As is the tradition, tonight we will get our first glimpses at Apple s new iOS 11, macOS, watchOS and tvOS. Besides these, Apple is also expected to introduce improvements to iMessage and Siri. What should really catch our attention however is a new hardware product tonight. If all the reports are to be believed, Apple could be taking the wraps off the much-rumored Siri Speaker tonight. This smart speaker will be competing against the likes of Google Home and Amazon Alexa.
- And that's a wrap!
- The HomePod will be available in space grey and white colors. It is priced at $349, and it will start shipping first in US, UK, and Australia in December.
- As was long rumored, the speaker comes with Siri integration, so you can say 'Hey Siri' and then give it a command.
- The speaker automatically detects the dimensions of the room, and adjust the audio accordingly. It does real-time acoustic modeling, audio beam-forming, and multi-channel echo cancellation.
- HomePod looks like a Mac with a cylindrical design and a meshed pattern. The speaker is under 7-inches tall, and it comes with a seven-speaker array of tweeters on the bottom with each of them having its own driver. There's also a 4-inch upward-facing sub woofer, and under the hood is an A8 chipset.
- Cook is back on stage, and there's one big announcement remaining. It is HOMEPOD!
- It's now time for iOS 11 features built for the iPads. Dock on the iPads can be filled with apps, and there's also a 'predictive area' on the right. As was rumored, two new features coming to iOS 11 on iPads is the drag-and-drop feature, as well as, files. The new files app supports nested folder, spring loading.
- The new iPad Pro also boasts a 12-megapixel OIS rear camera (same as iPhone 7), 7-megapixel selfie camera, and up to 10-hour battery life.
- The new iPad Pro gets a True Tone display, wider color gamut, low reflectivity, 600 nits of brightness, and support for HDR video. The new iPad Pro display gets a much improved refresh rate of 120MHz. Called 'ProMotion', this feature ensures there is smooth display performance, and motion looks smoother, crisper, more responsive. Under the hood of the new iPad Pro is an A10X Fusion chip processor, with six-core CPU (30 percent faster), and 12-core GPU (40 percent faster).
- Cook is back on stage, and he is talking about iPads. Apple announces an all-new iPad Pro. It comes with a 10.5-inch display that is fit into a compact body. The iPad weighs only a pound.
- Craig Federighi is back on stage, and now the focus is back on developers. Apple announces ARKit, which as you can guess, focuses on Augmented Reality. ARKit does a bunch of stuff like motion tracking, estimates ambient light, as well as scale for objects. ARKit merges an iPhone's cameras, motion sensors, GPU and CPU.
- The big announcement about the App Store is a new design. The store has been overhauled, and the first page is called 'Today', which has big, color cards you scroll through. There are separate tabs for games and apps. The card format has been adopted across the App Store, which kind of reminds us of the Apple Music app.
- Phil Schiller now takes the stage to talk App Store. He starts off by saying that the App Store now gets over 500 million weekly visitors, and there have been 180 billion app
downloads till date.
- Other iOS 11 improvements include a new control center, new notification center, and an improved Photos app with new features, among others. Apple Maps too gets new features, including indoor maps.
- Apple is also improving the camera app on iOS 11. The company says that 1 Trillion photos per year taken using iOS devices. On iOS 11, the camera app gets HEVC video encoding, which helps in using less storage while shooting 4K videos. JPEG too is getting replaced with HEIF, which promises better images at half the size.
- Siri on iOS 11 is now powerful than ever. For one, Siri has been given a more human voice (both male and female). Siri can translate now as well, with support for English, Chinese, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Siri will also now use on-device learning to become more predictive about what you want to do next.
- Apple is running through new features on iOS 11. iMessage gets a new App Drawer, and messages are saved on iCloud, which means better sync across devices. Apple Pay has also been updated, with peer-to-peer payments. In other words, you can send money to your friend via iMessage.
- iOS 11 time, and Cook can't help but take a dig at Android fragmentation.
- Cook is back on stage, and he concurs the new iMac Pro is "Badass".
- But that is not all. Apple has also introduced a brand-new iMac Pro, which Apple says is its most powerful Mac yet. You can get a CPU with up to 18-cores, Radeon Vega graphics with up to 16GB of VRAM, and up to 4TB of SSD. Prices for this new iMac Pro start from $5,000, and it goes on sale in December.
- Apart from iMacs, Apple is also updating its MacBook lineup as well. The laptops get Kaby Lake processors, faster SSD, and faster standard graphics on MacBook Pro 15-inch. While discontinued, the MacBook Air too gets a speed bump.
After macOS, Apple has announced new and powerful Macs. The new iMacs come with better display, seventh-gen Kaby Lake processors, up to 32GB RAM, two USB connectors with Thunderbolt 3, and graphics performance is 80 percent faster than previous generations. What's more these new Macs also support virtual reality!
- macOS High Sierra is available as developer beta today, with Public Beta about to be released later this month. Later this year, the operating system will be available as a free upgrade for any system
that supports Sierra.
- Among the highlights of High Sierra is a new file system. Apple File System replaces HFS as the new default file system. This new file system brings native encryption, crash protection, and instant file and directory cloning.
- There are also improvements to Mail, which brings split-view compose window, and use 35 percent less space to store mails. There are also improvements to the Photos app.
- New macOS brings an improved Safari browser, which promises better performance, and new features like auto-video-play blocking. It also comes with what is called 'Intelligent Tracking Prevention', which uses machine learning to identify trackers across sites.
- Apple announces its latest macOS, and it is called macOS High Sierra. No Jokes!
- Developer preview for watchOS 4 is available today. Free upgrade for everybody this fall.
- watchOS 4 also brings in new UI for the workout app with support for new regimes. There's also a new Apple Music app, with support for multiple playlists. There's a new dock, which lets you vertically scroll through recently used apps.
- Apple watchOS 4 announced! Apple starts by announcing new watch faces -- Siri Watchface, Kaleidoscope Watchface and Toy Story Watchface. Siri Watchface looks the most interesting, with dynamic complications, which automatically show different sorts of information. Toy Story Watchfaces bring characters to the watch face, including Woody, Jesse, and Buzz.
- Amazon and Amazon's Prime Video are coming to the Apple TV. All we know about the launch time frame is it will come -- "later this year".
- Cook finally takes the stage, and promises - "This is going to be the best and biggest WWDC ever."
- We are good to go! Waiting for Cook to take the stage at McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.
- We are less than an hour away from Tim Cook's keynote address, and here's how you can watch it live online.
- Another leak in the run-up to tonight's event hints at a new feature that could be coming to the iPads -- drag and drop. The feature has been spotted in Split View, which would presumably allow users to easily move content between apps, in a more seamless way than the current method of copying/pasting
- A new leak hints at a very exciting new feature that may arrive on iOS 11. Apple's mobile operating system looks to be finally set to get a file system. A 'File' app was briefly spotted on the App Store earlier today, before being taking down.
- Here's a wishlist of new features and improvements that the Twitteratis want from Apple's new iOS 11 update.
- Besides software updates, a lot of attention will be on the much-rumored Siri speaker. This would be Apple's take on the Google Home and Amazon Alexa. We are however looking forward to how Apple improves Siri to help it compete against more contemporary smart assistants like Google Assistant.
- With a few hours for the conference to kick off, here's a detailed list of what we can expect from Apple s WWDC 2017 conference tonight.
Come back for live updates as we bring you the latest announcements from Apple CEO Tim Cook's keynote address tonight at the McEnery Convention Center in San Jose.