It seems like the Note nomenclature on smartphones is cursed. We all know what happened with the infamous Samsung Galaxy Note 7, and now the company on the receiving end is Xiaomi. A Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 unit allegedly burst into flames in a user s pocket, causing him serious injuries. Also Read - OnePlus Nord CE vs Redmi Note 10 Pro Max: Does 4G still outdo 5G at a lesser price?Also Read - Xiaomi is hiding the front camera on its next Mi flagship smartphone
Bhavana Suryakiran from Ravulapalem in Andhra Pradesh s East Godavari district says that his Redmi Note 4 unit caught fire in his pockets while riding a bike. The fire though couldn t be doused despite pouring water on his pants, and Suryakiran is reportedly suffering from serious injuries, Sakshi.com reports (via HT). Also Read - Xiaomi 200W fast charging to reduce 20 percent of full battery capacity in 2 years
BGR India reached out to Xiaomi, and a spokesperson admitted that the company is aware of the situation. It is currently investigating the matter. “We take such matters seriously as customer safety is of utmost importance for Xiaomi. All of our devices go through stringent quality tests, the spokesperson said. We have been able to establish contact with the customer, and are in the process of procuring the damaged product to carefully investigate the case.
The report further adds that Suryakiran bought his Redmi Note 4 some 20 days back from Flipkart. He is quoted as saying that he plans to take Xiaomi to court for selling him a defective unit, and also will seek compensation for his injuries.
This isn t the first time reports have surfaced online claiming that a Xiaomi smartphone exploded. Back in July, a video of an alleged Redmi Note 4 exploding went viral. But after investigations, Xiaomi revealed that it was a fake. We will have to wait for Xiaomi s investigations to see if Suryakiran s Redmi Note 4 catching fire is as genuine as he claims, or a cheap trick to earn a quick buck. ALSO READ: From iPhone 6 to Xiaomi Mi 4i, 5 recent instances of smartphones catching fire